When I see a romper or jumpsuit I think of the 70’s..so when I had this loud cheerful print laying around that also reminded me of the 70’s I thought it would be a good fit.
But the print alone was too loud, so to add contrast I used some dark denim. I had a pair of old trouser jeans laying around that didn’t fit me anymore and was the perfect match. I made sure to cut the pieces from the jeans so I could reuse the existing hem and the existing side seams.
I wanted to add a lot of details to this romper, those details I don’t normally take the time to make.
I knew I wanted to create my own bias tape using the print fabric. I made it extra thick so that it would really show up against the dark denim.
I also knew I was going to add a button front. This was actually the first time I have made a functional button shirt. Due to some sick kids and a limited time frame, I wasn’t able to run to the store to buy buttons that matched. luckily I found a dress I was planning on altering that had buttons on the sleeves that matched perfectly. I cut them off, and used them on this project.
After I had the top constructed I put it on my daughter and realized it was way too wide. So I decided to add some pintucks that would not only compliment the design, but help lessen the width….perfect solution.
My daughter is super long in the torso, so I made sure to add a strip of fabric that would lengthen the torso and also give the jumpsuit a faux belt look.
She should hopefully be able to wear this for the next couple of years.
Here is the back, where I also placed some of the print.
I did use an existing romper that she had as a basis for the pattern and then tweaked it here and there to fit her more appropriately.
I hope to get some pictures of her in it soon…it should be warming up and staying warm any day now. I also plan to make a head scarf with the remaining fabric…I think it will go together perfectly with this 70’s inspired romper!