I choose another item in my closet today, or more correctly, my drawer. I own quite a few t-shirts but I never wear most of them. These particular t-shirts that never get worn are too nice to qualify as workout or lounge wear shirts, but not nice enough to actually want to wear out of the house.
Take this brown striped t-shirt. I believe I got it at old navy for $5 last year around this time when they were having a big sale. It’s actually really comfortable, and it fits just fine, but it might be a tad on the tight side.
So I thought I would jump on the bandwagon of adding a floral print to my stripes and try and alter the t-shirt. First I added a small pocket to the front of the shirt. If I was smart I would have stopped there.
But as you can see from the photo above, I tried to replace the back of the shirt with the same floral non-stretch fabric. Most times you see this done, it is only a panel at the top, in fact I have done it before on this shirt.
There is a reason you should only replace the top panel.
I wanted to make the back panel a little wider so the shirt had a little more room to it. What I didn’t expect was to have way too much fabric vertically so that it bunched up all over the place.
I tried to fix it by sewing it down and creating a fold to take away some of the fabric. You can’t really tell that anything has been done, but it might look slightly better now.
Except now there is a slight hiccup on the side.
I still like the shirt, and most people probably won’t notice the little problems. But if attempting this again, I would not replace the whole back panel.