Pages

Monday, January 14, 2019

Weekend Goals versus Reality

We were going to be hit with a major snowstorm and we had no activities on the calendar.  This was going to be a great weekend to tackle some purging/de-cluttering and cleaning.  I even had a sitter lined up to come and play with the kids some, so I could get serious about this.

Oh how the best laid plans never actually happen.  The snow did happen and it was beautiful.  It also caused the sitter to be unable to make it over.  That's okay we can work around that.  Then we had some major sickness hit, which meant no sleep.  And no sleep means my motivation went down the drain.

I did manage to finish putting away all of the Christmas decorations....finally.  And I did get one step done for the January cure, which is to take away most of the clutter from your living/family room and put it in a holding area to be decided later.  Learn to live with less around and see how it feels.

So I thought I would share some pictures of the minimalist living and family rooms.


Two things I notice about our living room.  I'm really wanting to continue our wood tile floor into this room.  It's the only common room on the main floor hanging on to it's carpet.  I just somehow need to talk my husband into it!!!  Also the brown chair as been sitting around for years waiting to be recovered.  I think I finally made a decision what direction I want to go, so I might be tackling that soon.

The family room has been through so many iterations.  I have finally come to own the fact that I like to make continuous changes.  It drives my husband insane.


I made the ottoman this summer using a craigslist find on an old coffee table and then adding a foam topper with a woven rug stapled on top.  I love it, and functional wise it works great.  What I find amusing is that I actually spent more on the rug than I did on the table itself.  I love buying used solid wood furniture.  The hardest part was the fact I wanted to stain the wood darker.

I thought it might be fun to see how far back I could go on the different phases of the family room.

Family Room - Previous Owners (2009)
First Paint Job (Fall 2009)
Painting the bookcases and brick (summer 2012)
Tiling the hearth (2013)
Wood tile floors with gray walls (2016)
Rearranging furniture (2017)
No more blue bookshelves (2018)
Current Family Room (2019)
Congrats if you made it through all the pictures.  How bright was that blue and green together?  Kind of embarrassing.  Now the big question will be how long till we all get tired of the color gray?

No comments:

Post a Comment