Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Why I Shouldn't Buy Things Just Because They Are On Sale

This year I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything unless it was needed.  It's been over half way through the year and although I haven't been perfect, I haven't been doing too bad.  There were things I did actually need to buy and a few things had weak cases for being needed.  I did break down last week and bought a few things that were pure wants.

Nordstrom's big anniversary sale is coming up, and I have the itch to buy.  As I was getting frustrated by work today, I happened to look over and see a catalog that Nordstrom's had sent to us.  I was leafing through it, trying to determine if there was anything I "needed".  I know there isn't truly anything I need, so to prove it I decided to try on all the clothes I have bought during the past two years of Nordstrom sales.  And to make an even bigger and embarrassing point, I'm going to share those with you.

So let's start with the picture above.  In this picture I bought the leggings and shoes.  I actually wear these quite often, so it was a decent purchase.  Notice the pile of leggings behind me?  I believe that is 5 extra pairs of Zella leggings.  Which of course is too many, especially when that isn't all the leggings I own, just the ones I bought from Nordstrom in the past two years.


Now let's discuss an embarrassing picture.  This "shirt" while cute is too big.  I should have returned it.  I have tried to pull off wearing it with shorts underneath and therefore it looks like a dress, but I just don't think it works.  Even worse is the cropped leggings.  They are not workout material, just regular legging material.  I have not worn them.  Also on the bed is longer black leggings, that have barely been worn.  Common theme-too many leggings.  And lastly the gold shoes.  I have worn them a few times, but they are a little too crazy for me and I should have gone with my gut and returned them.  Also - can you tell which ankle is the one I sprained?  Still swollen after 3 weeks.






These next set of pictures highlight another category I tend to buy from and then hardly ever wear.  I call these "going out shirts".  They are not appropriate for work and I tend to not wear them around the house.  People, I don't go out enough to warrant all the going out clothes I own.  I need to stop buying them.  Absolute worst purchase is the gray lace bodysuit on the bed.  I have never worn it, nor do I think I ever will, yet I didn't return it.  Why?





Next set of pictures are displaying tops I bought that I actually like.  I also like the 2 pairs of jeans I bought, but let's be honest, I have way too many of those also.  The yellow pants are again a little crazy and capri style is not my personal best fit.  I hope some year to grow up and actually figure out the classics that work best for me.


I will end on a high note, showing the top I bought that has been a good purchase.  Versatile enough for work, going out, and wearing around home if I feel so inclined.

So after all the work of trying on and taking pictures of these clothes, I have definitely persuaded myself to sit this sale out.  I guess you could call that a job well done. 



No comments:

Post a Comment