Pages

Friday, March 1, 2019

My Nutrition Journey-Background

I posted this picture for a couple of reasons.  Anyone old enough to remember a time before selfies, when you would be on vacation and no one was around and you would have to take turns taking pictures of each other by the landmark?  It makes me laugh to look back at pictures.  

This picture was taken at the end 2004. This is probably around the time I first started to notice a problem.  I was tired all the time.  It would take me a year or so, to finally feel bad enough to go into a doctor to see if there was a reason for my tiredness.  I took some blood tests and no results came back.  So I sort of dismissed it and went about my way.  Needless to say, soon after I was pregnant with my first child.  My tiredness then had a place to blame, on being pregnant and then eventually on having a baby around.  A high needs baby.


It's now 2010 and I am still extremely tired and my husband is convinced I might have sleep apnea.  I start to wonder about the link of depression and tiredness. Even with everything going on with Bella, I don't really feel depressed, just tired.  So again I head to the doctor for some bloodwork and a sleep study.  The sleep study comes up empty handed, but the blood test shows I have the Epstein-Barr Virus.  The prognosis is that I will have times that I feel really tired, and nothing can be done about it.



Fast forward a few more years and now we have two more kids.  All the kids are through the baby stage and for once we are getting sleep during the night.  In fact I make it a priority to get at least 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night.  And I am still continuously tired....ALL OF THE TIME.



This is when I first start researching the internet for causes of being tired all of the time.  I landed on some interesting information about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  The tale tail sign is that no matter how much sleep you get, you still always feel tired.  There is also some new research suggesting it has to do with getting a virus (such as Epstein-Barr) that never really goes away and your immune system is continuously fighting it.  As you know I like documentaries, so I just recently watched one called "Unrest" (on Netflix), which was directed and starred by a someone who has chronic fatigue syndrome.  It shows more of the very severe cases, people who can't get out of bed.  There still is no real cure, or even much research going on for this disease.

The realization of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome fell in line with the diagnosis I had gotten from the doctor of having Epstein-Barr virus.  In addition to being tired all the time, I have dealt with migraines all my life.  I had been told to keep a headache journal to see if there were triggers and I never really took the time to do it.

The year is now 2015 and I was also getting interested in nutrition.  Like everyone else I heard about the sugar epidemic and how everything had too much sugar.  I started watching some documentaries and stumbled upon one that had a great impact.  It was called "Forks Over Knives".  This again is available on Netflix, or you can even rent it from your local library.  I highly, highly, highly recommend this documentary.  This documentary started me down the path to try and fix my problems using nutrition.

To be continued...….



No comments:

Post a Comment